Last updated May 18
The Headwaters at the Comal staff is monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. Our priority is the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and visitors.
In accordance with state and local guidelines, we will be open on a limited basis starting May 13, with scheduled times for small groups to visit for self-guided tours in order to maintain social distancing practices. Please read below for guidelines and expectations.
- Visitors are required to register online in advance. No walk-up visitors will be permitted entry.
- Registration is limited to 5 people per time slot.
- Everyone in your party must be registered, including any small children.
- You must arrive within your 30 minute time slot, but you can stay on the property up to one hour.
- If you are unable to attend during your registered time, please let us know by calling 830-608-8937 or emailing email@example.com.
- Online registration will close 2 hours before the event begins.
What to Expect
- Before your arrival you will receive an email with documents including a self-guided tour, scavenger hunt, and family games. If you would like to use these during your visit, please print them before your arrival or plan to use them on your mobile device as print copies will not be available.
- Please enter through the gate on Klingemann Street and park in the designated visitor spots.
- Check in with Headwaters staff upon arrival and follow any given instructions.
- All indoor facilities are closed including restrooms, please plan accordingly.
- Please bring your own water. Our water fountains are currently inaccessible.
- There are no trash or recycling receptacles available at this time. Please leave no trace by packing any trash or food in and out.
- In case of inclement weather, you will be notified of any closings by Headwaters staff and your visit rescheduled or refunded.
- If you are feeling sick or have a fever, please stay home. We would be happy to reschedule your visit.
- While visiting, please maintain 6 feet of distance from any staff, volunteers, or other visitors.
- Face masks are strongly encouraged, but not required.
- Limit Touch! There are plenty of things to see, hear, read, and smell without touching.
- Please wash or sanitize your hands before arriving.
- Always stay to the right on trails so people can safely pass each other.
- While visiting, be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye out for trip hazards, wildlife (including ants), and low hanging branches.
The safety of our staff, volunteers, and visitors is our number one priority. Updates to federal, state, or local guidelines and recommendations may change our ability to follow this plan. If we find guests are not following appropriate social distancing or safety guidelines, we may be forced to close again. Please continue to visit this page for more information.
The following spring programs have been canceled or postponed:
McKenna Kids Series: Jelly Bean Stem Structures
Thursday, April 16
*POSTPONED TO THURSDAY, JUNE 18*
3rd Annual Earth Day Celebration
Saturday, April 18
*POSTPONED TO SATURDAY, OCTOBER 10*
Check back for continued updates and visit our Programs page for a list of upcoming events.
We are able to offer these important resources with the support of our members and donors.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. We look forward to a time when we can all gather safely together again.